LUTSF supports individuals working in all areas of movement and dance who wish to travel in order to enrich their professional practice. Applications are welcomed from choreographers, performers, lecturers, teachers, writers, therapists, administrators, producers and related professionals. The average scholarship in the last few years has been around £600.
Completed applications will be required by 18th January 2018 for projects taking place between 1st April 2018 and 30th April 2019.
If you wish to download a sample application form to prepare your answers for online submission, please click here
You will also need to complete a BUDGET DOCUMENT, please download it here and attach it to your application
Please note applications must be complete and include all four attachments. Please ensure you leave sufficient time to obtain your reference and host confirmation(s) before the deadline date. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please read the information below and the FAQs carefully before applying and before contacting LUTSF with an enquiry. LUTSF has no paid staffing and we have limited capacity to respond to enquiries.
Are you eligible to apply?
- Support is for travel only – in the UK or overseas. LUTSF does not pay fees for courses or conferences. It does not pay subsistence;
- Applications must be from individuals, not institutions, groups or companies. However, to reflect the changing environment, applications will now be accepted from individuals who are leaders of their own small companies and who wish to travel to enhance their knowledge, skills and experience in their role as company leads (smaller companies are defined as those with a turnover less than £50k pa).;
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of their application;
- Applicants must have been resident in the UK for a minimum of five (5) years at the time of their application;
- Travel must originate in and return to the United Kingdom;
- LUTSF does not support applications relating to undergraduate courses. Applications relating to masters degree studies may be considered but only when the applicant can evidence a professional track record of a minimum of 2 years prior to their studies. Applications from those registered for doctoral studies will be considered;
- Support is not given for travel to and from institutions for full-time or ‘long courses’, that is courses extending over one, two or three years; these include most diploma, certificate, degree and post graduate courses;
- Previous recipients of a LUTSF scholarship may be considered for a second award after at least five (5) years have passed and/or in exceptional circumstances.
What kinds of project will NOT be considered?
- Applications for ‘gap’ year travel, travel associated with diploma and undergraduate courses or masters degree courses where there is no evidence of a minimum 2 year professional track record. Degree ‘placements’ and fieldwork are excluded;
- Joint or group projects, although applications from individuals who are part of a larger project team may be considered;
- Projects where a proportion of the time away is used for leisure or paid work activities. Given the financial challenges facing those working in the arts, we have relaxed our previous restriction on undertaking paid work during LUTSF funded travel. Some paid work may now be undertaken and included as match funding to meet the non-travel based costs of the trip . However, the primary purpose of the trip and majority of the time (at least 75%), must still be for the purposes of professional development as opposed to professional work. Where applicants are entitled to claim all or part of their travel costs from the organisation engaging them professionally, they will not be eligible to apply. The Committee will use its discretion when evaluating the significance of paid work activities and may make part awards for travel.
How does the Selection Process operate?
All members of the LUTSF Management Committee are involved in the Selection process. All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application in writing by 31st March. Each application is considered on its merits and the decision of the Management Committee is final.
What Selection Criteria are used? What are we looking for in projects?
Please see FAQs for further information.
- Innovative programmes of professional development which clearly relate to your professional work and interests will have a greater chance of success. We prefer to fund plans which are more individually tailored; build on the applicant’s previous experience, develop or enhance collaborations and which demonstrate significant benefits in terms of the applicant’s artistic and/or career development;
- Your application will need to show enthusiasm, passion and commitment;
- Your project should be well thought through, be well structured and have clear aims and there should be evidence of some preliminary research where appropriate;
- Your application will need to show how the experience of travelling to undertake your project will aid your, professional and / or artistic development;
- Your application should explain how the resulting skills and knowledge will inform your future practice.
If you are successful, what happens next?
You will be informed of the success of your application;
You will be given details of how to obtain your ticket(s) and put in touch with the travel agent who makes travel arrangements for LUTSF scholarship winners;
You will sign a contract in which you agree to carry out your project as described and to seek approval from LUTSF in writing (email) for any necessary changes;
You will agree to submit a report within one month of your return from your study trip.
Report Writing Guidelines
Terms and conditions
Please note LUTSF is unable to fund:-
Travel insurance: Visas: Additional baggage costs
Travel between your home and the airport/rail station/main departure point is not included
Where required, internal travel in your destination country may be included in your award e.g. Internal flights, long distance rail connections, but local train, bus and taxi fares are not included.