Dancer in Training Award
What is the maximum amount that can be applied for?
The maximum funding amount is £500.
What is the running time of the award?
Projects taking place from September to September following an application period running through June.
Is there a residency requirement in relation to the reward?
Yes, applicants must have been resident in the UK for a minimum of two (2) years at the time of their application.
Is there a minimum age requirement to apply?
Yes, applicants must at least be 18 to be eligible.
What costs will LUTSF fund?
LUTSF Support is for travel only – in the UK or overseas. LUTSF will fund the following:
Where required, connecting long distance travel in your country of destination e.g. internal flights, long distance rail fares
Travel that originates in and returns to the United Kingdom. Second class / standard class fares only. We expect applicants to research the most economic routes available.
What we will not be able to fund
Fees; travel and other kinds of insurance; visa costs; additional baggage; accommodation; subsistence costs; Covid tests; innoculations
Can I travel to a country which the Foreign Office advises against visiting?
We will not support travel to a country that the Foreign Office advises against traveling to, and we reserve the right to withdraw scholarship offers where there is a change in Foreign Office advice between the grant offer and date of travel.
I am registered disabled, what costs will LUTSF fund?
For applicants who are registered disabled, In addition to the award we will fund the following, subject to providing evidence of disability:
- Where the need for a carer is evidenced, we will provide return travel costs for the carer in addition to the applicant’s travel costs.
- Applicants who are registered disabled are expected to research the most viable economic route.
Can I send the reference, budget or confirmation from my host organisation/s after the application deadline?
No, we are sorry we cannot accept incomplete applications. All supporting documentation must be included with your application.
What information do you require for the ‘Host/s Letter of Confirmation’
- The letter of confirmation from the host organisation/s is essential so we can ensure any award offered can be used for the purposes outlined in the application form. • Where you are applying for travel to an event such as a conference, course or workshop, we require confirmation from the relevant organisation that you have a place. If this cannot be confirmed because, for example, the results of your application are not yet known, then please include confirmation you have applied for a place.
- If you are applying for travel to support a residency or project with an organisation/s, please include written confirmation from each organisation you will be working with (either an email including header or a letter on headed paper).
- Where you are planning a self-directed trip visiting one or more organisations, we require evidence that you have made contact with the organisations that you plan to visit and that they are happy to host/meet with you. Where you are planning to visit a number of organisations, it may not be possible at the application stage to obtain confirmation from all of them, but we would expect confirmation from the most significant.
What financial information do you require?
- All applicants must complete the Budget Template with financial information for their entire trip. We require information about all the costs of your trip including those not funded by LUTSF and the other income streams you are accessing to support the trip. This reassures us that you have properly researched the costs of your trip and how you anticipate funding them, and allows us to assess the likelihood of the trip taking place.
- Please also supply screenshots or travel agent quotes for all the travel costs you are applying to LUTSF to fund.
- Please note, all travel receipts must be kept and supplied to the fund treasurer.
- WE CANNOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A COMPLETED BUDGET TEMPLATE AND TRAVEL QUOTES.
Who should provide the reference attached to the application?
- The reference you attach must be from the Institution where you currently train. It must state the length of time the referee has known the applicant. Wherever possible, it should be on headed paper and signed, or include the email header to show the name and email address of the sender.
- References may not be from a friend, partner or relative.
How can I increase the chance of my application being successful?
Ensure that you complete the application properly and that you are eligible to apply. Your application will be more likely to be funded if it is for an innovative programme of professional development which clearly relates to your studies. We prefer to fund plans which are more individually tailored; build on the applicant’s previous experience and which demonstrate significant benefits and relevance to the applicant’s field of study.
It is important you provide details for your programme of activity: the aims of the trip, details of host organisation(s), what you will explore and what you hope to gain from each aspect of the trip. Vague plans will not be successful.
Can I change my plans and/or travel dates after being given an award?
The award is made on the basis of the travel dates and plans outlined in your application. You must inform the Chair immediately if travel dates/ plans change after notification of an award. In the event of major changes, the award is usually withdrawn. Exceptions:
- Ill health (a medical certificate to be provided)
- The host/organisation cannot accommodate you on the original agreed dates
- An applicant wishes to add additional professional development opportunities to the original project outlined in their application
What won’t LUTSF fund?
- We do not fund travel for auditions for schools and companies.
- We do not fund travel which is related to professional engagements even where an element of ‘educational development’ is included in the trip.
- The fund is for travel for individuals, we will not fund any applications from organisations or companies.
- We do not fund travel where the trip is being undertaken on behalf of a company or organisation.
- We will not fund applications that have no evidence of planning, no budget and no agreement from the host party.
What are the Application form questions/word counts?
We accept completed application forms only between 1st June and 30th June using the online form. Here are the questions required to complete the application form in the meantime.
- Personal details
- Summary of project (50 words)
- Project dates and destination
- Cost of travel
- How does this application relate to your field of study?
- Name and contact details of one referee from your institution/organisation of study
- Project description (500 words / 22350 characters max)
- Reasons for undertaking the project (500 words / 22350 characters max)
- Are you seeking funding from another source? If so where?
- How did you hear about LUTSF?
YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ATTACHMENTS (.doc, .docx or .pdf max 1mb)
- Evidence of planning including dates and travel details
- Any letters of support, invitation and/or confirmation from your destination host
- Letter of support for this project from your one referee. This referee should be someone from an organisation/insitution that you train at.
- Completed budget document